Mouse not working in Laptop
Mouse in a laptop is called as a TouchPad, and if it is not working, then the touchpad might be locked, and to turn it ON, you have to make use of the shortcut Function key. First, search for the mousepad icon on your laptop’s keyboard which will be in the F series keys(F1, F2, F3, F4, F5, F6, F7, F8, F9, F10, F11, F12).
In laptops, the F series keys are used to perform several actions, like increasing/decreasing brightness, increase/decrease volume, muting sound, and more. In that, one of the keys is also used to Lock/Unlock the touchpad, Somehow the MousePad icon in the F-series keys looks like the below image and it might be a little bit different in your laptop.
Different companies use different buttons to turn ON and OFF the touchpad/Mouse in their laptop, and most commonly they use the F6 key as a standard button to turn ON/OFF the touchpad.
Now if you found the touchpad icon in your laptop’s keyboard, then press it along with the Function key to unlock the touchpad. In my Lenovo laptop, the shortcut key of Mousepad is F5 and to enable it, I am pressing Fn+F6.
Recommended for you: How to Take Screenshot on a Computer / Laptop
Refer to the below image to better understand how to enable or disable mouse in Laptop.
Steps to enable manually if there is no shortcut key in your laptop
You can enable it by entering into settings.
- Press the Win key on the keyboard, type touchpad in the search box, and select the Touchpad settings option from the search results.
- In the Touchpad window, and verify that the Touchpad On/Off toggle switch is set to On. If it is Off, change it to be in the On position.
Do the same if your Mouse is not working in Laptop. If you haven’t understood it, then please read it again, this will work. When this method doesn’t work for you, then the problem may be due to the drivers’ failure or outdated drivers.
To update the drivers, go to Device Manager in Windows where you can manage your all peripherals. and to do follow these steps, insert an external USB mouse(required).
- Press the Win key on keyboard and type device manager, then press Enter.
- In a PopUp window, it will show a message “Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer?” Click on Yes. (This will take you to the Device Manager)
- In the new window, your all peripherals are listed, find Mice and other pointing devices there and double-click on it.
- Locate your touchpad and right-click on the icon and select Update Driver Software.
In the drop-down menu If you see two entries named HID-compliant mouse, right-click on each and select Properties. In the Properties window, on the General tab, check the Location value. If the Location is “On USB Input Device” it is the external Mouse that you inserted to follow these steps, and if it is “on I2C HID Device”, then that is the touchpad device on your laptop.
5. Once you found your touchpad in the properties window, navigate to the Driver tab which is right next to the General tab. In there click on Update Driver… and select Search automatically for updated driver software and follow the steps (if the drivers are outdated) this method will get your job done.
Functioning mouse in Laptop
In a Laptop, you can use the touchpad to perform many cool gestures, such as zooming in/out an image by pinching the touchpad with two fingers or minimizing the window by dragging down with three fingers.
Some time or after re-installing the operating system you won’t have access to these gestures and as well to the pinch-zooming feature. If you brought a laptop that doesn’t have a pre-installed Operating System, then also you can’t use these features.
To make use of these features, like, Minimizing the current window by sliding down with three fingers on the touchpad or sliding up to reopen it, then you need to download and install the required drivers to which will be available in the official site of the Laptop manufacturer.
Take an example of Lenovo laptops, to install the required touchpad drivers, you have to visit the official website and search for the model of that you have brought. Or You can get them by searching on Google too.
Download all Lenovo product’s drivers from here. This page will automatically detect which laptop you are using and what model it is, after that, it will display all the supported drivers for you. You have to find out “TouchPad driver” on the list.
After installing the drivers, you will be able to use the touchpad gestures. The above link was to download only Lenovo Laptop drivers, below is the list of other more companies.